Increasing your email open rates is a very easy thing to do if you understand the basics that are listed in this article. Some of these things, no one will ever tell you about, but you’ve got to know them if you are to ride above average. An email list is nothing if you don’t have your subscribers opening your emails! What’s the purpose of the list in the first place? – It’s to achieve the one goal; turning your prospects into buyers.
Your email list is your business’ asset. The largest companies today are valued by the size of their following primarily. An email list is one of such followings that will determine your value in the long run.
Here, I have put together 10 very important ways to increase your email open rates.
1. Message to market match (includes even the invisible stuff)
This is one of the ways to increase your email open rates. It’s very important but often times always gets ignored! There is a reason why your current subscribers came to you in the first place and that is for a specific reason. If they don’t get that reason, they will leave! The message to your list should always be in sync with the reason they came to you. This kind of thinking actually starts in your mind, are you sending emails to be a help or to simply just make the sale? Remember, you can always ‘sell without selling’.
2. Communication style
Your email list are human beings and are not different from you. The moment people realize you don’t care about them and are just aiming at making a sale out of them, they will never open you emails. Avoid hard selling your list by using sell sell sell language. To get from more from your list, you will have to give them as much value as possible. For example, you can even decide to offer value for 6 days of the week and just 1-day of selling. I have found this to be the best communication style.
3. Your auto responder matters.
Some very cheap auto responders have issues when it comes to their I.P. What happens is that with such auto responders, you will always find your subscribers’ emails in the spam box folder of theirs email service. You can increase your email open rates when your subscribers receive your emails in their inbox folder in the first place. I would do good research before using any type of auto responder. I have personally tested and tried different auto responders but didn’t find anything better than active campaign. Again, all of us are different and will have different results, but active campaign will most probably not disappoint you!
4. List Segmentation
Some subscribers may decide not engage with your emails for some reason while other may readily do. This becomes important to segment them into different groups and this could be in many ways like using tags for example separating those who bought a product from those who haven’t yet bought.
This can help you to , for example;
- Use the re-engage method for those who are un engaged
- Re engaging the engaged
- Send other types of emails for those who already purchased your products.
5. Regular Clean up
If you have subscribers who are not opening your emails for let’s say 6months, you can decide to clear them off your list permanently, however, this should be done after sending them a last ditch email letting them know they are about to be removed.
This will help you;
- First of all will reduce the cost of your auto responder as normally what you pay for is the size of your list.
- It will also help you get a chance to be added to a better IP. The auto responder normally has grades of IP; The fake level ( for those with very poor email open rates, the intermediate level ( for those with good email open rates) and the best level ( for those with very good email open rates). You can always write to them and ask them to add you to their best IP once your open rates go up.
Once emails are now delivered to the inbox folder, in the first place, you can now expect to increase your email open rates. Having the best IP could mean email providers will deliver your emails to the inbox folders.
6. Nothing beats value!
Delivering very good value from the onset will train your email subscribers to actually open your emails and even be expectant in the first place. Hard selling them on daily basis is like telling them to ignore your emails! Delivering the best value possible will put you in their good books , hence increasing your email open rates.
7. Do everything you can to avoid spam filters.
These are some of the best practices that will help you avoid being flagged by the spam filters.
- Make sure all recipients have actually opted-in to receiving your emails.
- Send your campaigns from a good IP address; that is, an IP address that hasn’t been used by someone else who has sent spam in the past.
- Use verified domains.
- Keep any code clean.
- Use merge tags to personalize the “To:” field of your campaign.
- Show subscribers how to whitelist your emails, and ask them to add you to their address book.
- Avoid hard selling language (these are spam trigger words like “buy”, “clearance”, “discount”, or “cash”).
- Don’t “bait-and-switch” by using deceptive subject lines.
- Include your location.
- Include away to opt-out of your emails.
- Use professional emails for ‘sender’ email and ‘reply to’ email fields.
8. Perfect your email send out times.
To do this you will have to do an A/B test; which means you will try sending emails over let’s say morning hours for a period of time and compare sending emails over let’s say afternoon hours in the same period. Comapring the results over various times will give an idea when your audience opens their emails hence the best time to send emails out.
9. Multi-Channel engagement
You can contact your subscribers over other channels deoending on the dats you have. For-example; sms messaging. If they can see your messages everywhere, chances are they will not forget about you. Your email open rates will go up.